Sunday, February 10, 2008

i love crafts

Well, I recently added a link to one of my favorite blogs, design*sponge. I haven't visited in so long, so I have spent the last hour or so skimming the archived articles for tips & treasures. It is a surplus of resourceful information for any diy project, including a t-shirt quilt! If you had the pleasure of being in a sorority (or clubhouse, as john calls it) during your college days, you probably have about six bags (or $400 worth) of t-shirts depicting greek paraphenalial. Why I thought I needed to purchase one for every single event, still boggles me. I always have hopes and dreams of starting great craft projects. They are intriguing in my mind, but never seem to evolve in reality. However, I committed to sticking to this one, and I pledging on our blog for all to see ... and by all, I mean Lori, Tabaitha, & Donna (you are the only viewers we have right now) ;) I am going to compile my t-shirts together and finish a glorious Chi Omega quilt for my unborn girl who will surely be a legacy. John is definitely rolling his eyes right now. But, I would love accountability, so I am posting the instructions below if you would like to co-craft with me! I have to give credit to 'derek & lauren' from design*sponge in case they happen to meander across our blog and accuse me of plagiarising. happy quilting.

Here’s what you’ll need:-15 shirts-solid-color duvet cover-rotary cutter (you can buy one at jo-ann fabrics)-ruler-self-healing cutting mat -sewing machine-iron

1. Our duvet cover measures 80″ x 80″, so we cut out 64 squares, each measuring 11″ x 11″(32 from old shirts and 32 from the top piece of our existing duvet cover, which we took apart at the seams.) We were able to get 2-3 squares from each shirt.
2. Lay out squares on the floor in an 8×8 grid and arrange them into a pattern that you like. Pin numbered scraps of paper (1-8) onto the first square of each of the 8 rows so they stay in order as you stack them up and bring them to the sewing machine.
3. Using a 1/2″ seam allowance, sew squares with right sides together to create strips. Press open all the seams with a hot iron.
4. Once all 8 strips have been sewn, attach strip #1 to strip #2 and press open seam. Attach strip #3 to strip #4, press open seam, and then attach to strips 1 and 2. Repeat with remaining strips until they are all attached. Make sure to pay attention to the numbered squares so they stay in the right order!
5. With right sides together, attach top (patchwork) piece to the bottom piece of your old duvet cover, leaving a 3′ opening at the bottom.
6. Turn right side out, fold up raw edges at opening and attach 3-4 buttons (from one of the shirts!) to the bottom piece. Use the buttonhole function on your sewing machine to create buttonholes on the opposite piece.
7. Insert your comforter or duvet, button it up and settle down for a cozy afternoon nap!


Happy Valentine's week to all. May you and a special someone find the joy in each other's company & affection.

peace.love.joy.
aj (as if you thought john wrote this one)

3 comments:

Tabaitha said...

i checked out the blog and love it, right up my alley. i too love crafts and have been wanting to make a tshirt quilt with all of my old shirts from college and make one for adam too, if he uses it i don't know. i will also pledge to do the same. thanks for the info.

The Powell Family said...

so funny that you mention this-my dad had offered a couple of years ago to have one made for Bethany, but I never could give him the shirts because Av came along. I have been thinking about it lately though, because I don't think Taylor would look good in all that pink...

Stu and Nicole said...

you guys are awesome....I am happy to have found this little blog....

~nicole