Friday, March 27, 2009

occupational hazard.

Definition:
A working condition that can lead to illness or death. Often, people in jobs which pose a high level of risk are paid more than similar but less risky jobs to compensate for the danger involved.

Let's begin . . . Around the middle of April, last year, I made the decision to expand my professional horizons and venture into the world of retail. I left my comfortable, delightful job as an 'administrative assistant' with The Crossings Church in Katy where I was spoiled with warm hot bagels, biscuits, and coffee ALL the time from my favorite, Lori. I helped design t-shirts, organize events, create a web-site (so challenging & educational), and got to eat Chick fil A almost every Wednesday with the mom's and nuggets group. I pretty much had the best job in the world, and Bishop Matt Powell should be up for Best Boss Award, if one exists.

Well, my mother stumbled across her college roommate and discovered she owns a home decor/gift boutique in River Oaks. Marci, roommate, was desperate for help, and I saw a lot of potential for networking and recapturing my passion for all things interior design. So, here I am today. We sell mostly handmade artisan merchandise - lots of tabletop pieces. I truly love about 75% of the store, but I try to only bring home items with manufacturer defects or damages... out of respect for my checking account. Those items are usually free & John won't have it any other way. I don't know how to cover my feelings or experiences over the past year without writing a novel, but it has been eventful. I have survived retail in the midst of planning a wedding, Hurricane Ike, the holiday shopping card that comes once a year, Christmas, and the worst economic recession of our time. Thank goodness I had my dear friend Meredith as a sidekick for 3 months or so. She moved in with the parentals and I, and helped maintain my sanity through it all. I probably should write an entire post on my gratitude for her friendship. That Meredith is a smart lady, though. She moved on to bigger and better challenges, working for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Team in Training! And I am pretty sure she is running like 20 miles a week now... literally leaving me in the dust. Ü

Now, insert 'definition: occupational hazard' here. I began with the term, and end with it, merely because it is my current state of mind. NO my job is not leading me to death, but quite frankly it does cause me to be ill. Not physically ill that I need a sick day, because that hasn't happened in a YEAR. I have no idea where this job is taking me and/or how it is enhancing my professional life. I can only live & embrace it day to day. But, should you hear of an amazing work opportunity up for grabs, I'm your girl. 

You try telling a billionaire lady that our return policy is 'store credit only', and no she cannot be refunded the money for the gift she brought back 2 months later. I try not to take backlash from customers personally, but it is tremendously hazardous to your health and not to mention a huge joy sucker. For now, it's a chance for me to meet people, some Cruela-like, some pleasantly delightful. Either way, it is a great test of patience and challenges me to be a Godly woman. So, with all that being said... COME VISIT ME at Telfair At Home! I love smiling faces.
-a

2 comments:

The Powell Family said...

You DID have the best job in the world :), and I miss you terribly. I hope they know the treasure they have in you! What I wouldn't do for another Wed am bagel and coffee with you...

nicole said...

:)