Tuesday, March 31, 2009

keep austin wierd

I thought I would fill you in on some current happenings in the Weaver family. I finally convinced myself that it was okay to ask one Saturday a month off (retail hours are delightful), so John and I went down to Austin this past weekend. My mom, aka: Gigi for her grand-dogs, and dad took the boys to the lake... bless their sweet souls. It is amazing to live life without the responsibilities of a pet. The thought of children seems so schematic to us at this point (by schematic, I really mean out of the question). I already clean up throw up, break up fights, search high and low for their missing Kong toys, and pay way too much money for grooming/veterinary visits. So, I think we are just fine with our boys for now.

The real reason for our visit to Austin was for the Capital 10k. Nicole Lynnette asked me after the first of the year if I wanted to join her on weekly runs. I accepted knowing it would be so great to see her every week & to get in shape. Working out has never really been on my agenda, so it's been challenging. I LOVE food and life can be super stressful. We really are trying to make healthy choices, but as you all know, "it's a lifestyle". grrrrr.

We met up with Stu and Nicole Smith who live in an amazing place downtown! They are great friends of ours & it was so nice to see them in their city for a change. We had a very delicious lunch at Chuy's - 1st time there, too! Thanks for spending your Saturday with us, Smith fam.

I had looked up a few shop must-sees from DesignSponge's city guide. I was very impressed with the recommendations. Our first stop was finch... sooo divine. John found an awesome hand stamped card with a simple art deco graphic of an anchor. Another favorite was Uncommon Objects . Check out the "peepshow" on their website to get a look inside. It was FULL of antique treasures. I adore other people's trash, if only I had room for it. The last two jackpot spots, were New Bohemia & Service. New Bohemia is a retro resale store has the most amazing selection of cowboy boots I've ever seen. Ladies, if you have a foot smaller than size 7.5 ... GO, run, don't walk. Of course, all the 8-9 sizes were slim pickings. John found so many pairs that we actually had to decide which looked/felt the best! We decided on a caramel colored, iguana skin pair for $63 tax included! Awesome. Houston Rodeo 2010, here we come. Service Menswear was a tiny treasure tucked away. John bought Levi's and looks fierce in them. I also loved the Jack Spade merchandise. He is a relative of Kate Spade, and his designs are clean and simple. Great gift idea, noted. 

After a very successful day of vintage/boutique shopping, we decided to grab a bite to eat at Threadgills. It was conveniently located right next to the hotel, and I was craving some carbs before the race. As we walked up to the front of the restaurant, we saw a live concert on the patio. To our surprise, it was WILL TAYLOR AND STRINGS ATTACHED. They definitely played at our wedding ceremony and reception. How bizarre!! It is such a small world. We settled into the Homestead Suites with the McCollough family and played a little "empire" - great game.

RACE DAY: Rise and shine, 7:45 am. I suited up in my new Raider Red dry-fit shirt from Nicole & we were off. I tackled the steep hills semi-gracefully and saw my hubbie at mile 5 for a refreshing push to finish strong. I am extremely proud to say we finished! 1:08 was just peachy for my first 6.2 miles. I feel so motivated to keep it up & even if I wasn't, Nicole would probably convince me. I may try the Aid Sudan run at the end of the month... 

GREAT TRIP! Miss it already. And, John won't quit talking about how awesome Austin is. I agree, but H-town is a super home.

Courtesy of photographer John: 


No comments: